Sunday, November 29, 2009

Webcomics

Webcomics are a form I regularly keep up with. To be sadly honest, I usually pick a webcomic because I like the art of their banner. And also, I find my webcomics through Smackjeeves. It's a good website for uploading your comics for free, and still getting a wide spread amount of people to read it. I am in the works on producing a comic of my own that someday I will put up on Smackjeeves. Although self owned domains and websites probably are more recognizable and well known, I think that Smackjeeves is a great place to start. It's very easy to navigate and you can add your favorites, which sort by newest update. It also recommends other comics for you to read based off of the selections that you have. One comic I recommend from there is called "Toilet Genie". There haven't been too many comics so far on Toilet Genie, but I find it interesting.

As for reading, I picked to read Farley's "Electronic Sheep". Initially I notice the setup of the website was eye catching, starting with a page with a sheep on it. The page was set up like the old computers that were black and green. Although after that page, I started to dislike the choices made for the rest of the pages. It was rather boring and the art and toning techniques I find lacking... Afterall, you can tell that the line work was done and the rest was just paint bucketed in. There are spots where it wasn't fully colored... This page is an example of the inconsistencies. It bothers me artistically. But what I did find to bring my interest back was the fact that each page was only a panel usually, and there was narration text besides the comics. I've never seen that before in a webcomic. So it did keep me wanting to read on. Looking through the different stories in electric sheep, the art does take a turn in each. It goes from being black and white, to color, and even to 3-dimensional. I have my own personal dislike of 3-dimensional comics... They just creep me out. But moving on and focusing more on the literature of the comic, even though it's interesting, I'm not sure I like the narration on the side. If all you had were just the panels, you could still understand everything. However, with the narration, you know exactly what the author wants you to know. And yes, that is a good thing at times. However, I think I like getting to make up things a little more than Farley allows for you to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment