Monday, November 16, 2009

Arabian Nights

As for women's comics, I read "The Arabian Nights" by Lillian Chestney. The first thing I noticed was actually that the lettering was contributed to someone else. I'm entertained by this, because you never see anyone attribute the text to someone else on the main page like that. But then again, they had control of writing, so maybe they put it there themselves. But moving on, I chose this comic because I've always loved the 1,001 nights story. In my senior year in high school, we read several sections of "A Thousand and One Nights". I love Scheherezade is an amazing woman. She's clever and outwits the king to save her life. It's just so great that the king was going to kill her, but she got away by telling stories. Although it's pretty clear to me that after the first few days, he didn't really intend to kill her anymore. The king probably just kept telling her that he would cut off her head just so she would tell him more stories.

I can see why a woman would choose this story to illustrate. Women in art tend to want to prove that women are better than men. That they are smarter. So choosing this story to illustrate is a good choice. It's all about the power of women. Even in the stories that Schehereade tells are about the power of women. I know that Lillian Chestney must have had a fun time illustrating this. It makes me wonder who really wrote "A Thousand and One Nights". No author has ever been attributed. And it's most likely that there were multiple authors, as it's believed that some stories were added on later, such as Aladdin. Without a time machine, I doubt that anyone will ever know who wrote the stories.

After reading parts of "A Thousand and One Nights", I think that Chestney did a good job of taking that story into her own hands. She kept true to the story and made the right characters stand out. "A Thousand and One Nights" is hard to read. You need to pay complete attention to it and take a lot of time with it. It's clear that Chestney fully understood it and developed it into a successful comic.

No comments:

Post a Comment