Monday, November 16, 2009

Eightball

I had to catch up on reading after missing class last week. I read "Eightball" by Daniel Clowes. I chose this because it was recommended to me. I read through "Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron". Now that I've gone through and read it, I don't exactly know what I can say about it. It's just so strange. Although I wish that it had been continued from the 'to be continued' point because I was curious to see what was going to happen from there. But basically that is a very strange comic. Although I didn't get to read much into it, I'm assuming the man in the bathroom stall is the reference to eightball with all the questions people ask him. I had been wondering why the line in the men's bathroom was so long, so I'm glad that it was explained.

I didn't get much of an understanding by reading the short 14 page exerpt of "Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron", so I looked it up on wikipedia. I had absolutely no idea that the woman in the movie was his wife. I was wondering why he would possibly be that obsessed with her. But I sort of just thought that he was somewhat dominatrix obsessed or just thought she was pretty. But no. It was his wife. At least it makes sense as to why he was so obsessed with her. I like having explanations for the things that I read. Although I don't understand a majority of the comic. Why would his friend be treated for an infection in his eye socket by taking out his eyes and putting two crustaceans in instead? What would make the crustaceans stay there? And wouldn't they die in there? But they were still moving. I don't know, it was confusing. And then there's the strange woman that the police pick up, thinking she's a prostitute. But she's got three eyes. I just don't know. It makes no sense to me. But it was none the less interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment