Monday, November 23, 2009

Alan Moore and Watchmen

I'm excited to get to listen to Alan Moore talk. I think he's a little bit crazy, but very intellectual. He has very strong opinions, but they're very interesting to listen to. I've never really gotten to listen to him before, but I have read Watchmen and I feel that his personality is reflected in the comic. I feel that if he were a character on Watchmen, he would be a mix between the main characters. I can see him as Rorschach, Dr. Manhattan, Nite Owl, the Comedian... More so between Rorschach and the Comedian. They just have such views on the world that I can see Alan Moore believing himself. But the views are just very interesting. I loved getting to read the views of Rorschach especially. It was so negative, but I enjoyed it none the less.

I find it very interesting that Alan Moore has never really looked at any of the films based off his comics. I understand why he wouldn't want to see it, but none the less... I actually didn't expect that. I feel if I were in that position, I would be interesting to see how they reflected the book that I wrote. But at the same time, you might just be setting yourself up for disappointment. After all, films based off of comics can't quite ever be as great. You can capture the feel, but there's a certain depth that I feel can't ever be reached. It's the same way with films based off of books. I love Jurassic Park as a movie, but Michael Crichton's book was so much more amazing. But that could just be my love of Michael Crichton's writing speaking... Not to get off topic or anything.

Getting back on the topic of comics, I think that Alan Moore's position on superheroes is just something that no one else has quite depicted. His take on humanity is a view that I find very realistic. If superheroes were real, I could definitely see the Watchmen world to be what happens. That really could be the way that humanity reacts. People usually react negatively to things that they don't understand. Or others that have more power than they do. I appreciate that Alan Moore made his characters, with the exception of Dr. Manhattan, real people who want to protect justice for one reason or another. It just extends how realistic Watchmen could be. Watchmen and Batman are relative for me. They both show a super hero who is just a person in a suit fighting for what they believe in. No matter how flawed that belief is.

((P.S. Nite Owl is my favorite. Screw Rorschach.)

No comments:

Post a Comment